Sunday, January 23, 2011

"I can't believe you've taken up jogging! What about our pact?"

"I can't believe you've taken up jogging, Lucy! What about our pact?"

Guilt tugged Lucy's cupid bow lips into a momentary frown, and then she bit her lip. Guilty didn't look good on the petite strawberry-blond. I'm searching for a good excuse or explanation to give my best friend, but nothing's coming to mind. I guess I have to resort to the truth. "I had to do something, Vic! I was going stir-crazy in that cabin by myself." Lucy widened her baby-blues, trying her best for the innocent look.

Vic rolled his caramel-colored eyes and scrubbed a hand down his face in frustration. Lucy had seen the gesture a million times before. "Uh-uh. Don't you try to give me those big doe eyes; I'm too angry for it to work right now. Lucy, jogging down the side of the road defeats the purpose of putting you in a safe house. Some nut with a taxidermy fetish is after you. Jeez, woman! Didn't you ever watch Psycho?" Vic's dark brown curls were mussed from where he'd repeatedly shoved his hands through his hair while he was stressing over getting to the safe house and finding Lucy gone.

She cringed and gave an involuntary shudder. "Okay, I see your point, but can't you put someone in the safe house with me? I'm dying of boredom out there."

Vic scowled and it made his face look even more hawkish than usual. "I'll keep you company, since you obviously need a babysitter."

Lucy couldn't stop herself from pouting. "That's not fair!"

"Tough shit, cupcake." Vic smirked down at Lucy, and she scrunched her nose.

"I really want to slap you right now."




Prompt from The Writer's Book of Matches.




I write like
Stephen King

I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment